Certain foods can cause digestive problems and not only result in heartburn, and more severe acid reflux, but they can also cause flare-ups and symptoms of IBS to become more prevalent.
Knowing which foods can cause the most problems, and staying away from them as much as possible can limit the effects of your Acid Reflux, IBS, and other digestive symptoms.
The following foods are ones that you should avoid in order to keep your digestive system happy and healthy, especially if you have a pre-existing condition.
- Spicy foods such as chillies, onions & peppers
- Citrus fruits and other highly acidic foods
- High fat foods including cream, ice-cream, and high-fat dairy
- Coffee and other caffeinated beverages
- Smoking – It may not be a food, but it can definitely cause digestive problems.
It is also recommended to avoid synthetic and processed foods as much as possible. These highly processed foods are everywhere and difficult to avoid, but the can cause digestive issues as they are simply unnatural for us to consume, so avoid them as much as possible (not a bad idea whether or not you have digestive issues).